Re: fulva hardiness

On Sun, 15 Dec 1996 KEMohr@aol.com wrote:

> Diana
> I've had I. fulva here in Zone 5 for two years, and the person I received it
> from had grown it in Zone 4 for 10 years.  It grows well for me, and I'm not
> mulching it, just to see how tough it is.
> For best results, plant in spring so roots are well established by winter, or
> grow in a pot, brought inside an unheated garage or cellar first winter, then
> plant out the following spring.
> Use a winter mulch of 6-12 inches of white pine needles, or straw.
> It is a lovely thing-good luck! Kathryn Mohr, near Albany NY, Zone 5

Kathryn, Thank you Kindly for so effectively clearing my doubts
about the Hardiness of this iris. I've got an address (from Rick
Tasco) for a supplier in Missouri ADAMGROVE, Route 1, California,
MO 65018. Could anyone provide the name of another supplier
hopefully in Zone 4/5? The real problem with importing the
water-requiring irises from the US is our customs. Because the
customs people are not in a hurry to get them on their way once
they have checked them. So they sit around and get dry before they
get shipped off to me. Jap irises can't tolerate this at all and
arrive either dead or hopelessly dehydrated.

            private E-mail address
--
Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca>
Zone 4/5 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada