Re: Pollen

SCHAFFCM@SNYBUFAA.CS.SNYBUF.EDU wrote:

> Rick
>
>         Can you pick off the pollen when the bloom first opens and dry that
> for pollenation?  Or must you leave it on the bloom to dry before picking it?
> Is the pollen ever "mature" or "immature", or is it just dry / not dry?

Carolyn,

I don't normally use pollen from freshly opened flowers.  I usually wait
a few hours or look for 2 day old flowers.  Not all varieties will have
immature pollen on first opening.  Some varieties pollen looks good on
opening.  Rain is a nemisis.  If its coming, and you need pollen , get
it before the rain.  Heavy dew is bad also.  I never tried too much
experimenting.  You don't get too many chances sometimes.  LLoyd, Sharon
anyone else out there with an opinion.

I would have to say that mature/dry or immature/not dry are synonomus.
For when the pollen is mature it is dry.  Unless it rains.

Rick Tasco
Central California--in the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas near Yosemite
Nationl Park -- Sunny today.
Zone 8.5