Re: Variegated Irises

Donald Mosser wrote:
> I have a question for list members concerning irises with variegated leaves.
> Why don't we see more new hybrid varieties of TB's or Japanese irises with
> variegated foliage?  I know that in some plants, foliage variegation is
> happened upon by some thoughtful hybridizer saving out the variegated
> vegetative sports from known hybrids.  Does this never or rarely happen with
> various irises?  Is there anyone in the iris world working toward foliage
> variegation in irises?

I know of two newer tall bearded iris, STRIPED JADE AND ZEBRA BLUSH,
which are variegated.  STRIPED JADE was hybridized by John Weiler of
Fresno CA.  It has yellow flowers of fairly modern form.  Zebra Blush
was a new purchase this year and in addition to the variegation it also
has purple bases.  Brad Kasperak of Utah is the only hybridizer I know
of currently working towards variegated foilage.

Rick Tasco
Cathey's Valley, CA
zone 8.5

PS:  Just remembered a border bearded I got from Ruby Short of New