Re: Hot colour iris performance in UK (repost?)

I may have already posted this - apologies if this is a repeat.
>Graham Spencer asks...
>
>> Does anyone know of a hybridizer working in a cooler or wetter area who is
>> developing really good pink or orange varieties? I'm sure everyone would
>>like to hear!!

It isn't cool here in the summer, but can get down to minus 25 F (more often
0 to +10 F) in the winter, and it certainly is wet (around 55 inches - 250
cm? rainfall).  Gaulter's HOLIDAY HOUSE 1973 has done really well here -
competes with fescue and blooms reliably despite being completely abandoned.
 I have moved some of it to the cultivated fertilized rows so will find out
how rot resistant it is under better growing conditions and let everyone
know.  The flowers are not modern form or substance, but not bad.   JOYFUL
NEWS (Carr 1979) has done quite well for 5 or 6 years in one of my most rot
infested beds.  And there is always PINAFORE PINK (Schreiner 1978) also a
fescue competitor - huge, fairly modern flowers - a bit much, and given its
tendency to lean here, probably falls on its face in better iris climates.  I
post these not because they are really good pinks, but because they are
survivors in my climate and casual gardening style.

Walter Moores, in Mississippi (previously Texas), has worked with pinks, but
I don't know what he has developed or how well they do.  Mississippi is wet,
but maybe not 'cool' - don't know about the climate where he was working in
Texas.  I think PINK REPRISE is a recent reblooming pink that someone posted
about recently.

I unsuccessfully tried to cross APRIL IN PARIS and VANITY if that counts. : )