RE: Jefrie Jenkins questions

Leon Adams Jr wrote:
> I must have missed some messages somewhere, I don't have the message from
> Ellen. Was this a message in reference to my question on hybridizing? and in
> particular trying to get a hardier version of Streetwalker? Or was this
> another message I missed from Rick about a hybrid he created?
> Could either of you please clarify these messages for me?
> Thanks,
> Jefrie Jenkins
> Kent, WA zone 5
Jefrie, here are the 2 messages that I have and responded to/with on the
subject you ask about--hope this clears it up--Rick T.
        Re: Hybridizing
        Fri, 13 Dec 1996 10:00:39 -0800
        Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>

Leon Adams Jr wrote:
> Now that I know how to store pollen, I have a few other Hybridizing questions
> that possibly someone might have some insight on.
> I absolutely love the look of an Iris named Streetwalker, but it is not a very
> vigorous grower. Is there any way to go about crossing to get the same
> coloring but with better growth habits?
> Are Irises like people with recesive traits. Such as if I cross a blue with a
> red will the blue be the predominant color?, or will they just be all mixed
> up.
> This is only my second year of hybridizing so I have not had the pleasure of
> seeing any of my creations. The first time I didn't know if I was even doing
> it right so when I did get seeds it was quite exciting.  I just crossed all of
> my favorites so they will probably be ugly babies, but they will be my 1st so
> I am sure I will keep one for memories.

Yes, iris do have recessive traits.  Over the years many species have
been incorporated into the iris we see today.  You can use the AIS
checklists to track parentage to see whats behind a certain variety, or
ask hybridizers what their experiences are.

As to Streetwalker both Roger and I have used it.  Roger came up with a
marvelous seedling crossed with Maryott's Spin-off.  The seedling
basicly has the same pattern of Streetwalker with the lace of Spin-off.
(Too bad my scanner is not hooked up or I'd send you a picture.)
Unfortunately it is too short.  Usually only 25 inches.  I've used this
seedling and crossed to OH BABE and the pattern was passed on to the
seedlings also.  Although I did not get anything too interesting.  I
also made a cross of this seedling to a tall seedling out of Purple
Pirouette X Ruffled Goddess.  Got tons of seeds so we will see.

Anyway, you probably will get a lot of ugly babies, I throw away
hundreds each year, but you will get something nice also.  Keep trying,
its a great hobby.

Rick Tasco
Central California
Zone 8.5
        RE: Seedling
        Fri, 13 Dec 1996 12:37:59 -0800

Ellen Gallagher wrote:
>         Why not use this seeding (STREETWALKER x SPIN-OFF) as a BB?
>         It sound interesting....I love BBs especially up here in Zone 3.
> Ellen Gallagher
> e_galla@moose.ncia.net

Would never introduce that iris as a BB despite it's 25" height.  The
flower is much too large for a BB and it doesn't fit the class.  But
every visitor through the garden loves it and wants to buy it!  We've
been trying to get that flower on a taller plant, without success so
far; we keep the seedling around to hybridize with as it seems to pass
on its' characteristics, including the heavy lace!

Rick Tasco
Central California foothills
Zone 8.5