Re: Storing Pollen

DANA:  Pollen should be picked when it has fluffed up. Some anthers require
being opened, - slit along the center and the little capsules opened.  I
think ten a.m. is the ideal time to make crosses here, because the styles are
not too hot to prevent the pollen from growing down them into the ovary. Yes,
the stigmatic lip needs to be moist, and by five p.m. it may be too late.
However, the individual varieties vary in how long they  will keep moist
lips. The daytime temperature is important. If it is above 90, I would  hate
to bet on a late afternoon cross.  I tried some about 2 p.m. at the Lowes in
Virginia this past spring.  It felt like the 90's, but I did not check. The
result, - zero takes. Lloyd Zurbrigg Durham NC  Zone 7.5