RE: Pollen

Dana Brown wrote:

> Ok folks, this is beginning to sound really good.  When is the best time
> of day or best conditions under which to harvest pollen.  Do you want it
> when they are first opened or after they have been open a few hours?
> How about the stigmatic lip?  Early morning, late afternoon, when is the
> best time to hybridize?  I have a lot of problems with this.  We leave
> the house to go to work at 6:10 a.m. and often don't get home until
> about 5:00 p.m.  If the wind blows all day (more often than not) then
> there doesn't seem to be much moisture left on the stigmatic lip.  Maybe
> I could run home at lunch (only 20 miles) and do my thing?

Dana,

Quite a bit of literature says the best time to pollenate is
mid-morning.  Of course if you're crunched for time, then you might do
what I do and pollenate anytime of the day, including at night with a
flashlight. I have set pods many times doing this.  The most important
consideration is that the pollen is dry.  If the pollen gets moist or
wet it is worthless.  Also I have found that the pollen is not quite
ready when the flower first opens,  I usually wait at least a few hours.
Personally, I use two day old flowers for both pollen and podding.  I
find the flowers are usually at prime at this stage.   I don't get too
much wind so I don't worry much about the stigmatic lip getting dry.  If
you're worried about wind, put a paper bag around a flower that will
open while your at work. This should protect it from the drying effect
of the wind.

Rick Tasco
Central California
Zone 8.5