Re: New Plantings - Novice Question

>Jane Mattei wrote:
>> I have been observing these and note that some have retained color and
>> leaf integrity while some others seem to have died back completely.
>> Is the dieback a sign that the transplants didn't "take"?

Maybe - but some varieties, especially the ones that do really well in my rot
infested garden, tend to die back in the summer/fall, especially if they are
transplanted.  The bits of VANITY that I transplanted last summer still look
pretty bald.  If the rhizomes still feel ok (like the rhizomes of the ones
that are ok), they are probably alive.