RE: Publicity

At 11:06 PM 12/12/96 -0500, Rick Tasco wrote:
>But who chooses which ones will be selected: Hybridizers on the Board of
>Director of AIS,  the Big Boys such as Schreiners, Cooleys or Ghio etc.
>or who else?
>Lets face it, whether intentionally or not, named iris on this calender
>will receive plenty of publicity while many other deserving irises
>won't.  How can we be sure the lesser known hybridizers won't be left

IMHO, one can't assure that lesser know hybridizers won't be left out. One
can, however, work toward promoting one's irises and aspire to becoming a
member of the AIS Board of Directors.  It appears that the influential
people that you mention have worked very hard for their position in the AIS
or in iris sales.  I'm not saying that it's "fair", I'm just making an
observation.  What can we say, the U.S. economic culture sometimes
encourages capitalism or gain at the expense of others.  It's pure and
simple competition.  It appears that there is more to successful hybridizing
and promotion of new irises than just dabbing pollen and being an excellent
grower. Being adept at networking couldn't hurt.

Clarence, looks like this could be a money making proposition for AIS -
selling spots on calendars and postcards. :) Just kidding, let's keep these

Donald Mosser
North Augusta, South Carolina, USA
Zone 7b-8
First avg. frost date approx. Nov.15th