Re: Rotten Experiences-- Lengthy

Rick you wrote:
 Treatment is another story.  There is no foolproof way of
>curing Soft Rot.  I dig the affected clump, cut and destroy all bad
>tissue, let dry a few days, dip in a 5 to 1 clorex solution and plant
>back in the fall.  This usually works for me.  Before I used the clorex
>solution the same variety would get soft rot the following year.
>I suspect the bacteria was established in what I thought was cured
>rhizomes.  Crown rot is easier to treat.  Clorex solution "will" kill
>the fungus on the plants.  However the fungus may still be in the soil,
>so solarizing/fumigating must be done if you plan on planting in the
>same place.

Since I am in California also I deal with soft rot.  We, believe it or not,
cut out the rot and sprinkle commet on the iris.  It tends to stop the soft
rot.  We have also dipped ours in the clorex solution.  However, when the
roting starts it moves so quickly that the comet seems to be the only thing
to stop it.  Has anyone else, who has soft rot, tried this?

Barbara, Zone 9, Northern California. Where all it seems to do is rain,
rain, rain lately.
Barbara R --Zone 9, Northern California--Grad. Student