AIS Calendar photos

Richard Tasco/Roger Duncan wrote:
  I want to present a perspective which has
> only been mentioned in passing.  From the Hybridizer's point of view.  I
> do not have any problem with named varieties being put on the calendar
> But who chooses which ones will be selected: Hybridizers on the Board of
> Director of AIS,  the Big Boys such as Schreiners, Cooleys or Ghio etc.
> or who else?
> Lets face it, whether intentionally or not, named iris on this calendar
> will receive plenty of publicity while many other deserving irises
> won't.  How can we be sure the lesser know hybridizers won't be left
> out?
> Sorry I'm prolonging this overworked discussion, but I thought the list
> should ponder the comments of a relatively new hybridizer.
Chris replies:
Rick, first, let me say I understand your point of view here.
I do not know for sure who makes the final selection for the AIS
calendar but Clarence Mahan did mention the people that look after the
production as being:

"Olive Rice-Waters (with assistance from her most
talented and clever husband, the very British George Waters, who puts
out the magazine Pacific Horticulture), does all the work on the
calendar..." I think they are located in coastal California somewhere
north of you.

Clarence has their address, if you don't already have it, I believe.
I would say that you will have to aggressively promote your own material
in this regard by submitting photos of your new iris to these people for
consideration of usage within the calendar. I'm sure that they are
always looking for new quality material. A "great image" is without a
doubt the prime prerequisite to consideration of publication in the

For decent results in the color separations required for the
lithographic film prep for printing,  original color transparencies
(slides) are best to work from. The larger the film format the better.
35 mm is probably acceptable for the calendar at its present image sizes
but the photo subject should be in very sharp focus. Also keep in mind
that they probably start to work on the calendar several months ahead of
time so the New Year likely will not be too soon to be in touch with
them about providing material.
After you make it to the calendar you too will be one of the BIG GUYS!
Good Luck.

PS any other iris photographers out there may wish to consider
submitting material for the calendar too. Check with the publishers
FIRST, though, to find out the details of submitting material...
Christopher Hollinshead
Mississauga, Ontario  Canada  zone6b
AIS Region 16
Director, Canadian Iris Society