Re: Hybridizing

Leon Adams Jr wrote:
> Now that I know how to store pollen, I have a few other Hybridizing questions
> that possibly someone might have some insight on.
> I absolutely love the look of an Iris named Streetwalker, but it is not a very
> vigorous grower. Is there any way to go about crossing to get the same
> coloring but with better growth habits?
> Are Irises like people with recesive traits. Such as if I cross a blue with a
> red will the blue be the predominant color?, or will they just be all mixed
> up.
> This is only my second year of hybridizing so I have not had the pleasure of
> seeing any of my creations. The first time I didn't know if I was even doing
> it right so when I did get seeds it was quite exciting.  I just crossed all of
> my favorites so they will probably be ugly babies, but they will be my 1st so
> I am sure I will keep one for memories.

Yes, iris do have recessive traits.  Over the years many species have
been incorporated into the iris we see today.  You can use the AIS
checklists to track parentage to see whats behind a certain variety, or
ask hybridizers what their experiences are.

As to Streetwalker both Roger and I have used it.  Roger came up with a
marvelous seedling crossed with Maryott's Spin-off.  The seedling
basicly has the same pattern of Streetwalker with the lace of Spin-off.
(Too bad my scanner is not hooked up or I'd send you a picture.)
Unfortunately it is too short.  Usually only 25 inches.  I've used this
seedling and crossed to OH BABE and the pattern was passed on to the
seedlings also.  Although I did not get anything too interesting.  I
also made a cross of this seedling to a tall seedling out of Purple
Pirouette X Ruffled Goddess.  Got tons of seeds so we will see.

Anyway, you probably will get a lot of ugly babies, I throw away
hundreds each year, but you will get something nice also.  Keep trying,
its a great hobby.

Rick Tasco
Central California
Zone 8.5