Re: Catalog Questions

Rick Tasco wrote:

> Thanks for your interest in our catalog, the 1997 version probably will
> not have a color cover.  clip-clip-clip...  Another factor is that it is a
> nice mid-blue and both color photographs, then color printing have
> problems capturing the right shade of blue.

Chris replies:
As a generalization you are correct in assessing the difficulty of
photographing and printing blues. It is not impossible to do so however.
It does cost a bit more money too.(of course!)
What you can do is: make sure you have the best color transparency you
can shoot of the iris (even though the color may be off a bit)
Ask your printer for a "critical" color separation and provide some
visual reference as to what the correct color of blue should be and they
should be able to provide it for you. Check the results of the color
corrected image with a high quality color proof to preview how it will
actually print.
When printing the actual piece someone knowledgeable will have to
monitor the ink going down on paper to again make sure it is printing
the correct blue as intended among other things. This is an important
step as a lousy printer can wreck havoc with even the best pre-press
(Actually all the steps are important to a excellent quality printed
Christopher Hollinshead
Mississauga, Ontario  Canada  zone6b
AIS Region 16
Director, Canadian Iris Society