Re: Rotten Experiences-- Lengthy

Barbara wrote:

>Since I am in California also I deal with soft rot.  We, believe it or not,
>cut out the rot and sprinkle commet on the iris.  It tends to stop the soft
>rot.  We have also dipped ours in the clorex solution.  However, when the
>roting starts it moves so quickly that the comet seems to be the only thing
>to stop it.  Has anyone else, who has soft rot, tried this?

This method is one that I have used, since it was recommended to us by several
knowledgeable growers here in West. Mass. We really rub (not just sprinkle) the
chlorinated bathroom cleanser into the rhizome, after cutting out the soft
tissue. I've also tried a long soak in the bleach solution (even overnight!).
Sometimes works, sometimes not 8-(.

Carol Blais CBLAIS@worldnet.att.net
West. Mass., waiting for forecast freezing rain