Re: Rotten Experiences

So my question is: Do I need to be concerned about the 1 1/2" of alfalfa
"mush" that is around the plants? I have scraped it back from on top of
most of the rhizomes, but have left it in the growth area of the fans
(the end where the roots form).

John, did you get a satisfactory answer to this??

My comment is that the alfalfa pellets promote growth, and the "mush" keeps
the moisture around the rhizome which has been weakened by new growth.
Sounds like the alfalfa should be tilled into the soil if possible rather
than leaving it on top.

You might not have problems, however, if the soil temperature stays below
50F. Growth starts at about that. If the rhizomes are dormant already....

You can always "wait and see"!

Carolyn Schaffner in Buffalo, NY