Calendar

I find the whole idea about whether or not to show a named picture of an
iris because it might sway judges votes, or offend someone, or provide
unfair publicity to an iris totally ludicrous.

I find the following statement to yield a lot of truth. You cannot
please all of the people all of time but you can please most of the
people most of the time. I think that this is what the AIS has now
recently done by repealing an absurd regulation. I am extremely glad
that this sort of thing has been changed.
"Sticking your head in the sand" so to speak or denying people knowledge
is NOT the way to go. Ask the ostrich!!

If this had been carried to a further state of ridiculousness the whole
AIS Bulletin should be full of blank pages with the garden reports
censured out because they might sway someone's opinion one way or
another on an iris or offend someone else's opinion! By reading other
peoples opinions on subjects we formulate our own opinions (which in the
case of a reputable and conscientious iris judge should be a combination
of learning all about many new varieties of irises, reading other
opinions on them, growing them, observing them in the garden, judging
them in shows, etc., etc..)(and even LOOKING at PHOTOS of them!!!) Some
horizons might even broaden beyond tall bearded! :-)

I also would like to see the AIS calendar and the AIS postcards changed
in the future (to include at the least the name and category of the iris
that is imaged) to help further the knowledge and promotion of irises.
Not all, but many people that receive these calendars do not even know
that irises have specific names. By making this clear it can only help
to entice those that are inclined to follow up and learn more on irises.
(and possibly become a new member) As this calendar is a general
enjoyment consumption item we should also not lose sight of using iris
related images that fit the criteria of: sufficient excellent
photographic quality in terms of composition, lighting, and focus.
That is to say not every shot should be of only one iris, some of my
most favorite photos from past calendars are nicely composed garden
shots involving irises. (examples;cover of 1996 calendar and March 1996)
I've said enough here but I do look forward to further change.

--
Christopher Hollinshead
Mississauga, Ontario  Canada  zone6b