Re: astute observation (was Enough already!)

  • To: iris-l@rt66.com
  • Subject: Re: astute observation (was Enough already!)
  • From: "Robert L. Roberson" <patrob@centex.net>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 16:34:27 -0600 (CST)

>I'm a new subscriber to IRIS-L and have throughly enjoyed the information I
have gathered in just a week or so.  I've got to join the AIS so I can buy
one of those calendars!  I've started files on historical iris, iris
hybridizing, titles of books I've got to have, new sources for all kinds of
iris.  I've already learned about a multitude of irises I did not even know
existed.  I've got to locate more of the re-bloomers.  My husband, who
really prefers to grow peppers and tomatoes, is concerned about how much
more of his vegetable garden I will encroach upon.  Everytime he is not
looking, I do take just a little more for the newest iris bed.  Thanks to
Donald Mosser for telling me about this source of information.  I'm
definitely in the learning stage, though I do have a collection of around
fifty named TB's and a few unnamed old ones.  I live right in the center of
Texas in hilly, sandy country.  Best I can tell from maps, I'm right on the
line of zones 7&8.  Irises seem do well here, though I have lost a few
rhizomes due to malpractice!  I didn't notice the snails and pillbugs in
time.  Now I'm being much more vigilant and have lost no more.  I'll
continue lurking for a while until I have some useful information to share.

Patricia Roberson, in Central Texas where it's really warm and green.  We
have had a frost which finished off tender annuals, but everything that has
any spunk is still growing.