Re: astute observation (was Enough already!)

> fifty named TB's and a few unnamed old ones.  I live right in the center of
> Texas in hilly, sandy country.  Best I can tell from maps, I'm right on the
> line of zones 7&8.  Irises seem do well here, though I have lost a few
> rhizomes due to malpractice!  I didn't notice the snails and pillbugs in
> time.  Now I'm being much more vigilant and have lost no more.  I'll
> continue lurking for a while until I have some useful information to share.

Do you live in Brady or McCulloch county?  That's the "heart o
texas" country.  And it's north enough to be z. 7/8.  The hellfires that
burn in our state legislature and large university Sodom & Gomorrah
keep us warmer.  Oh that, and the concrete and wretchedsouls, and the
air pollution Houston so kindly exports from the Gulf (prevailing wind
if no cold front is from the southeast).

Did you have little to no bloom this spring, and no rebloom this fall?
While my iris are very new (at most two years old) many did not bloom
this spring and none have rebloomed this fall, though I have none of the
notorious-for-rebloom cultivars.  We *have* had a spunky fall as you
say.  I think it's good -- this year, the tropicals have gotten the
message that it is cold without being  smacked too hard -- though it did
go from 80 one day to snowing the next night!  Persian shield
(strobilanthes), basil, and cannas show the worst damage, though only
the basil and the zinnias of course are completely gone.

Amy Moseley Rupp
amyr@austx.tandem.com, Austin, TX, zone 8b
*or* amyr@mpd.tandem.com
Jill O. *Trades, Mistress O. {}