Re: astute observation (was Enough already!)

  • To: iris-l@rt66.com
  • Subject: Re: astute observation (was Enough already!)
  • From: "Robert L. Roberson" <patrob@centex.net>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 20:09:23 -0600 (CST)

>Do you live in Brady or McCulloch county?  That's the "heart o
>texas" country. The hellfires that burn in our state legislature and large
university keep us warmer.
>Did you have little to no bloom this spring, and no rebloom this fall?
>While my iris are very new (at most two years old) many did not bloom
>this spring and none have rebloomed this fall, though I have none of the
>notorious-for-rebloom cultivars.

You're close!  I'm in Mills County.  My husband says the actual geographical
center of Texas is at Locker, which is about halfway between Goldthwaite
(where I live) and Brady (which claims to be the heart of Texas).  I tell
people to look on the map at where the Pecan Bayou runs into the Colorado
River to see where we ranch.  Unfortunately, there is no dependable source
of underground water in that area, and we live in town!  A nice little town,
however.  Austin is our favorite get away; 1 1/2 hours from here to
insanity.  BUT great food, shopping, garden centers.  I'm a high school
counselor, and I'll believe anything you tell me about the legislature. We
just elected a write-in candidate for county sheriff though, a man who ran
on the platform of enforcing the law across the board.  It's going to get
interesting in Mills County.

My irises bloomed fairly well this spring.  I was concerned that a few that
had bloomed so well in 1995 did totally skip this year though I fertilized
and watered a lot.  I think the drought was more severe in Austin than here,
and we had absolutely no grass on the ranch until early June. Since then it
has rained abundantly.   Usually as we go south that 100 miles (a short
distance in Texas) we notice more green and more bloom.  But not last
spring!  My old hardy unnamed irises bloomed well in late January and early
February.  Some of my named TB's which bloomed so well in 1995 (SILVERADO,
BEVERLY SILLS, EDITH WOLFORD, PLAYGIRL) took a year off.  But, in extreme
conditions, we'll even forgive a cow for not producing!  This fall and
winter have been perfect growing conditions, and I am still planting and
moving irises and other perennials.  I have just added a few reblooming iris
this fall and hope to add more.

I was in the garden after dark a couple of weeks ago with the temperature in
the 70's,  picking green tomatoes and not believing the weatherman who said
it would freeze.  Sleet and snow and down in the 20's by daylight!
Incredible even for Texas.  And now it's like spring again.  Our
airconditioning is on tonight;  guess starting a fire in the fireplace would
be out of order!

Patricia Roberson, from Goldthwaite, Texas, where it's PERFECT winter and I
have the airconditioning on!