Re: Saving Pollen

LMann76543@aol.com wrote:
> Lots of good comments on storing/shipping pollen - one technique specifically
> mentioned sealing containers (for mailing).  What about short term storage in
> the fridge or room temperature?  Sealed or unsealed?  I am assuming open
> containers since paper envelopes were one suggestion.  Does humidity matter?
>  To try to adjust to summer heat and humidity outdoors, I usually put off air
> conditioning as long as possible, so indoors is high humidity (compared to
> New Mexico).  I remember some discussion last spring in relation to making
> successful crosses - seems like I remember  too humid is bad for pollen
> viability so I am assuming unsealed containers for short term storage.  Maybe
> with a few grains of rice for desiccant?

Humidity will harm the pollen.  For the cross to be successful the
pollen must be totally dry.  A tip: go to the pharmacist and ask him for
any desiccant cubes that come in prescription medicines.  They usually
have plenty of them laying around and some (pharmacists) will save them
for you.  I walked away with hundreds one year.  I place one these into
each film canister with the pollen I was saving.  Keep unsealed and as
dry a location as possible.  Keeps the pollen high and dry.

Rick Tasco
Central California--warm here also 65F today
Zone 8.5