Re: Solarization for the home gardener

Chad Schroter wrote:
>         I am certainly no Iris farmer, but I intend to try solarization on a
> small area where Iris had been grown for many years.

Congradulations on trying.  This is exactly what I did when I first used
solarization.  I used a 100ft section of one of my beds and the growth
was quite evident the next spring.  Plus no weeds.  Be sure to use clear
polyethelene with UV inhibitors.  UV inhibitors will help prevent the
polyethelene from disintegrating.  It is true that the area will be
quite unattractive, but the results will be worth it.

Both Maryott and Ghio use the chemical Methol Bromide which is quite
dangerous.  It is a fumagant that is applied in a gaseous form.  One has
to be very careful when applying this as a good whiff could kill you. I
do not know if it is carcinogenic, however it is an ozone depleter.
This according to my Ag agent.  I have used it sparingly in the past,
but have not lately since solarazition seems to produce the same results
for me.

Rick Tasco
Central California
Zone 8.5