RE: New Plantings - Novice Question

Jane Mattei wrote:
> Background: 10 clean, dry, single-fan TB rhizomes. Planted in early Oct.
> New bed, slight slope, well-drained, 18-24" deep x 70 sq. ft. (90% loam,
> 10% clay) added about 20%/vol peat and bone meal at planting. Careful to
> just set the top of the rhizome at soil level.
> I have been observing these and note that some have retained color and
> leaf integrity while some others seem to have died back completely.
> Is the dieback a sign that the transplants didn't "take"?

Your iris that did'nt take probably have not rooted.  Planting in
October in Illinois seems fairly late to me.  I would think you should
plant in August or early Sept at the latest.  Give a slight tug to those
that look bad to see if they formed any roots.  If not they will lift
out of the ground quite readily.  If they have not rooted you may think
about planting them in pots and bring inside as they will certainly not
grow roots over your winter.  This happens to me here in California
where a certain few will just sit until spring before they grow roots.
With my mild climate this is not a problem.

Early planting establishes the plants.  When I order new varieties I
plant them as early as I can.  Usually in early July.  By October they
are full size plants and if they are rebloomers they will rebloom.
They also will be able to survive harsh winters better if they are

Hope this helps,

Rick Tasco
Central California
Zone 8.5