Re:Sources for CAPITOLA

A number of years ago Capitola was regularly available via the Aril Society
International's plant sale.  I dropped my membership so do not know if they
still have the plant sale or what is listed.  I had it and grew it for
about 4 years; it did fairly well under conditions of full sun and good
drainage, against a south-facing brick wall.  Stems were about a foot tall,
the flowers were medium violet, finely veined darker, poor substance.  I
noticed no odor, bad or otherwise.  I used its pollen to produce some
"mohrs."  As a tetraploid, it crosses readily with TBs.

A series of wet summers has carried off Capitola now and most of my "mohr"

Capitola contains genes from two of the most desiriable oncocyclus species,
gatesii and iberica, but its tall bearded genes are from Purissima and
Macrantha, both very old varieties that would not be used today (of course,
when the parents of Capitola, William Mohr and Ib-mac were hybridized,
these TBs were the going thing).  Macrantha also was (is?) not fully hardy.

Best wishes, Bill
William A. Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College