Re: species iris

I am trying to find answers to the same questions.  I understand that the
Pacific Iris Society is preparing a detailed publication on the species that
occur along the west coast which are all Pacific Irises (or are they - what
about missouriensis?).  I also understand that the same information is
available for the Louisianan irises produced by their society.  What about
the rest?  I cannot find an authoritative account although someone said that
the Missouri Botanic Gardens plants of North America tomes will eventually
come to the irises and provide that information.

Am I correct in my points?

I have been examining the possibility of putting maps of all the North
American species up on the web.  At the moment, the only map programme would
do this is Quickmap, which costs about $1,000.  Is there another one out
there that is less expensive?

More questions than answers, I am afraid!

Ian

At 08:20 12/11/96 -0700, you wrote:
>I really liked Ian Efford's suggestion that everyone become knowledgeable
>about the native irises within a 100 mile radius of their home.  But now I
>have to ask an ignorant question:  what's the best way to find out what they
>are?  I have only seen irises growing in the wild twice in my life, but
>that's at least partly because I don't know where to look.  Does the Species
>Iris group have maps?
>Mary Forte, Atascadero, CA: halfway between LA and San Francisco

Ian E. Efford
avocet.intl@sympatico.ca  		- please, note new e-mail address!
tel (613) 526 4427 or 4429 fax (613) 526 0081
1909 Broadmoor Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1H 5B3
Zone 3-4