Re: Storing Pollen

Jefrie Jenkins wrote:
> I find this idea of shipping pollen very interesting. How long is the pollen
> fertile?
> If it works to ship it I would assume this would be a good way to save pollen
> from one plant in my garden until the Pod parent I wish to use is ready to
> accept the Pollen.
> Would this work? Has anyone done this?

Yes, absolutely.  In my expeience, I have saved pollen from standard
dwarfs to cross with the talls for the past 6 years.  I also will save
pollen from early blooming talls to cross with those that are late.  All
I do is collect the pollen, put it in film canisters and mark what it
is.  I do no other special treatment.  I place these canisters in my
pantry which is dry and airy and use the pollen when I need it.  I have
used the pollen this way for up to 6 weeks with success.

Not sure how long pollen can remain viable, but I heard that if its
frozen it can last a year or so.  Maybe someone else out there has
something more definitive.

Rick Tasco
Central California
Zone 8.5