Re: species iris

On Wed, 11 Dec 1996 JForte21@aol.com wrote:

> I really liked Ian Efford's suggestion that everyone become knowledgeable
> about the native irises within a 100 mile radius of their home.  But now I
> have to ask an ignorant question:  what's the best way to find out what they
> are?  I have only seen irises growing in the wild twice in my life, but
> that's at least partly because I don't know where to look.  Does the Species
> Iris group have maps?
> Mary Forte, Atascadero, CA: halfway between LA and San Francisco

Mary I can't answer your question(s) for your area so I hope
someone else can. Ian tells me that for the area around Toronto Can
Ii lacustris, pseudacorus, versicolor, vriginica & brevicaulis are
what we should be looking for. He also says that I setosa isn't in
this area, nor I virginica virginica but I virginica shevrei is.
Right now i am looking for pictures of all these species if anyone
can tell me. TIA.

While I was looking for pictures in the wildflower book i saw one
of I fulva which is rust coloured and which occurs in Missouri 'n
area. Could anyone tell me where I could get this or seeds? TIA.
I'm just wondering if it might grow with lots of pampering.

--
Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca>
Zone 4/5 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada