Re: Rotten Experiences

Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan wrote:
> I believe you missed my point.  I was trying to explain the importance
> of "Clean" soil.  If your soil was free from the buildup of disease,
> fungus and insects you would be able to grow many more iris than you do
> now.  I would not consider this pampering, just good garden culture.  I
> challenge you to plant several new varieties (new to you not necessarily
> brand new) in a different part of your garden where iris have not grown
> for the past 3 years.  See the difference!

Then there are those like Bill Maryott who have been growing in the same
location for years. Granted he does some major soil amending each year,
but none the less in the same location.

I started this last round of rot question as a lead into what my real
question is. About a month ago I sprinkled alfalfa pellets over the top
of my raised beds. On one bed I was too liberal, not anticipating that
they would swell to 3 times the size at the first rain, and that so many
of them would catch in the fans. We have had rain every 4-5 days since.
So things have stayed damp. Temperatures in the 45-60F range.

So my question is: Do I need to be concerned about the 1 1/2" of alfalfa
"mush" that is around the plants? I have scraped it back from on top of
most of the rhizomes, but have left it in the growth area of the fans
(the end where the roots form).

My limited experience here is that I have very little rot, the only case
being a clump that went undivided for 3-4 years and that in a different
On 11 Dec  in -

1719 - the first recorded sighting of the Aurora Borealis took place in
New England. The report said that a mysterious face seemed to appear in
the atmosphere; and, since most aurora borealis displays occur in
September and October and again in March and April, this is very
strange, indeed!

and at the top of the charts in:
1959 - Heartaches by the Number - Guy Mitchell

Happy Birthday yesterday to Starlord (Dennis Bishop)
Born on your birthday(10th) in:
1804 - Karl Gustav Jacob Jacobi , German mathematician who, with Niels
Henrik Abel of Norway, founded the theory of elliptic functions.

That is as close  as I could come to something astronomical. For those
not mathematical, the gravitational forces that govern planetary and
cometary motion are elliptical functions (eggshaped). Discovery of the
elliptical nature of the planets' orbits came about as Johannes Kepler
worked with the observational data obtained from the Danish Astronomer
Tycho Brahe (1546-1601). Tycho Brahe observed the sky and celestial
objects for many years using very accurate instruments - some large
enough to sit in. His data tables of positions were very reliable due to
the high quality of instruments that he used and to very keen eyesight.
Kepler was convinced that planets followed circular orbits and so
working with data from Brahe he attempted to predict planet orbital
positions. Kepler found that the data he was using did not match the
circular model he wanted to use. Realizing that the data from Brahe  was
accurate Kepler had to change the model to fit the data. In doing so
Kepler discovered that planets move in orbits around the sun that are in
the shape of an ellipse. This became the 1st Law of Planetary Motion.

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.