Re: Calender

<< Inquiry of one knowledgeable "inside"
 person brought the answer that the reason for no ID of the calendar
 iris was because hybridizers whose flowers were excluded were (might
 be?) jealous that their creations didn't get the publicity which
 others got free of charge.  >>

I am responding to this issue again, because I think it is important to
prevent misunderstandings.  Olive Rice-Waters (with assistance from her most
talented and clever husband, the very British George Waters, who puts out the
magazine Pacific Horticulture), does all the work on the calender...as a
labor of love.  There have been many species and older irises pictured on
past calendars with names identified.  It is only last year that the AIS
policy to avoid naming newer iris cultivars up for awards in AIS publications
was CHANGED.  Now, there is no longer any reason that names of all cultivars
should be omitted (unless the person taking the photograph does not record
the name). I am confident that this change will be reflected in future
calendars., but just to make sure I am going to write Olive this evening and
send her a copy of the correspondence on the list dealing with this issue.
 Warm wishes, Clarence Mahan in VA