Saving Pollen

Jefrie Jenkins wrote:

:  If it works to ship it I would assume this would be a good way to save pollen

:  from one plant in my garden until the Pod parent I wish to use is ready to
:  accept the Pollen.
:  Would this work? Has anyone done this?

Yes.  In fact, it's probably a more common practice than shipping pollen.
Rarely do both prospective parents of a planned cross cooperate by blooming at
the same time.

I normally store pollen I expect to use within a few days at room temperature.
If I know it will be several weeks before I need it, I store it in the
refrigerator.  To carry over from one season to the next, it goes in the
Yes, I've managed to get seeds from frozen pollen.  Not as many as from a
similar cross with fresh pollen, but enough to consider it worth the effort.

Sharon McAllister (73372.1745@compuserve.com)