Calender & Voting

John I Jones wrote:

> Gerry Snyder wrote:
> >
> > I think that the point (good or bad) is that any judge who
> > can with certainty identify an iris from a single photo can
> > usually be counted on to know whether it is award-worthy.
>
> I would hope so!
>
> > It is the less knowledgeable judges who are most likely to
> > be swayed by an identified picture.
>
> What? Judges swayed by photographs?
>
> Pg A-10 of "THE" manual:
> "Never should his votes be based on shows, slides, publicity or
> popularity of a hybridizer..."

I am going to reprint a part of the 1953 AIS Bulletin on Judges'
Responsibilities:
"It is PRESUMED" that you know more about iriese than the average member
of the Society, else you would not be a Judge.
As a judge, you have the serious duty of selecting what the Society will
tell the horticultural world are the VERY FINEST irises to be found.  If
you use bad judgement, the results of your poor selection will be felt
for a long time." (Boldfaced type my addition)
If you look around your gardens, you will find this statement screams
truth.

Sad is it may seem, Judges (more than 1) use pictures to mark ballots for
AIS.  Judges who don't know the heigth of an SDB.  And so on it goes.

I was not, and still not in favor of pictures of new introductions being
used in AIS publications as long as they are still eligible for awards.
There seems to be a lot of denial that judges don't vote pictures, but
then denial is a 90's thing.

Dennis