Re: Calender

> Reality is: if a judge is going to be influenced by a picture, there are
> plenty of catalogs to go to without worrying whether the iris in the
> calender are annotated or not.

	As someone who has only been in iris for 7 years and a judge for 3 I
want to say that I am scrupulous about never voting for anything I
haven't seen growing in my own garden or several other gardens over a
period of the bloom season and a couple of years.  This means that in
many sections of the ballot I vote for nothing or for only 1 or 2.  Not
that this is an excuse but I feel that one judge that I know is afraid
that they will be looked down on or possible even censured for not
"knowing" enough iris to vote a full ballot.  This judge is very
competent judging in a show and I feel that the only reason they "pad"
their ballot is because of this.
	How would you determine if this was the case?  Do they vote from
pictures or do they get to places that the rest of us don't and see iris
that none of the rest of us do.  Some of the iris that they have
mentioned voting for I have never seen growing.  Since I have access to
all of the gardens that they do and I visit them often, how did they see
these iris enough to vote on them?
	When looking at a judges' ballot how would you know?  All we can do is
repeatedly tell our judges that voting our ballot is very important and
should only be done from personal experience, not great write ups or
pretty pictures.

Dana Brown, Lubbock, Texas  Zone 7
of rain a year.  Our average wind speed is 12.5 mph and we have an