Re: December reblooming report

Robert Swieca wrote:

> I was intrigued by Elena's report as I think the temparature range on
> Central/Southern Cal coastline is very similar to Sydney's (coastal only).
> Of course we get about 48" of rain a year and February is the very humid
> (about 75% r.h) but our coldest night would be tewo or thee nights in
> june/july of 4 degrees c. Winter days average about 15 to 19 degrees c. At
> present, nearing January the temp. at night is 18 degrees c and daytime
> between 24 to 32 c.
>
> I wonder if some irises rebloom ONLY in these climates rather than the more
> Typical TB (?) cooler climates?

Robert
Yes.
Others will probably have more to say on the subject but the reblooming
checklist has a designation for those iris that rebloom (only) in the
pacific coastal clime typical of California. Bridal Fashion,
Winterscape, Ship Shape, and Crimson King rebloomed for me this year.

--
On 9 Dec  in -

1640 - Settler Hugh Bewitt is banished from colony of Massachusetts when
he declares himself to be free of original sin.

1792 - the first formal cremation of human remains in the U.S. (Henry
Laurens) cremated near Charleston, South Carolina.

1843, the first Christmas cards were created by Henry Cole with the help
of an artist and a printer.

and at the top of the charts in:
1957 - My Special Angel - Bobby Helms

I have some catching up to do on my birthday wishes:

Born on Sally Guye's and Nancy Krause's birthday (7th ) in:
1888 - Joyce Cary - English novelist who developed a trilogy form in
which each volume is narrated by one of three protagonists.

Born on Linda Mann's birthday (8th ) in:
1626 - Christina -Queen of Sweden who stunned all Europe by abdicating
her throne. She subsequently  attempted, without success, to gain the
crowns of Naples and of Poland. One of the wittiest and most learned
women of her age.

Happy belated birthday all.

Last but not least, born on Beth Matney's birthday (9th) in:
1895 - Dame Whina Cooper - Campaigned throughout her life for land
rights and social justice for the aboriginal Maori people.(NZ)

Happy Birthday Beth !

--
REMEMBER: Edit those Subject lines
(To remind myself as well)