Re: mulch

> Our soil is already acid because we are surrounded by cedar woods (or
> maybe we are surrounded by cedar because the soil is acid <g>).

Hold it sister... our soils are very alkaline and laden with limestone,
yet the predominant trees/shrubs are oak (with very acidic leaves) and
Ashe juniper (aka cedar in our local parlance) which is also fairly
acidic in terms of shredded bark/wood.  I'm not so sure there is a link
between alkalinity/acidity of the soils and the pH of the plants
themselves, though it seems a reasonable thing.

--
Amy Moseley Rupp
amyr@austx.tandem.com, Austin, TX, zone 8b