Re: Mulch and Rot

On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, Ellen Gallagher wrote:
> 	I am doing a little experiment re pine needles and mulch. Currier
> 	McEwen suggested to me this summer that I retest my soil where I
> 	have been using the needles (Japanese irises are mulched with pine
> 	needles all year) because he thinks my pH will not have changed or
> 	maybe become more *alkaline*! This has been his experience...it
> 	flys in the face of conventional wisdom or does it?

I too use pine needles here in Mass. and that is also what I used in
Tenn.  And I have read in the last few weeks somewhere...... who knows
where..... that pine neddles cause very little change in the acidity of
the soil.  I that been believed but does not occur as I recall the
article to have said.  Keep us informed woth your experiment!

Gary D. Sides  south central MASS   USDA 5    Auburn (just outside Worcester)
[172 Frost Free Days]  gdsides@   Rebloom is Up and Coming!