Re: Soil acidity

There has been some discussion recently concerning soil acidity.  I
thought I would share with everyone how I prepare my beardless beds.  I
grow Louisianas, Siberians, Japenese and Pusedocorus all in the same bed
with much success.  The current bed was prepared in October so it is
still fresh in my mind.  The area was rototilled to incorporate last
years decorative mulch.  Then I put down alfalfa pellets covering the
soil so no dirt would show.  These on moistened using a hose to help
them break down. I usually wait a few hours for the bed to dry somewhat.
Then I place over the pellets a 3 inch layer of oak leaves.  Then a
dusting of commerical fertilizer which contains among other things
sulpher.  This is all rototilled in throughly.  A new layer of
decorative mulch is then put over the entire bed.  This is not needed
for a winter mulch so much as to supress the weeds.  For the sake of
sounding pompus, I will just say that my bearded do wonderfully.

Rick Tasco
Cathey's Valley, CA near the entrance to Yosemite Nationl Park
Rain finally stopped!
Zone 8.5