Re: Calender

Ellen Gallagher wrote:
> >Gerry Snyder wrote:
> >>
> >> Irises eligible for awards are not named in the calendar to avoid
> >> any appearance of favoritism.
> >>

> >Hmmmm, I see. Putting the picture of an iris in the calender doesn't
> >show any favoritism, but naming it in that same calender would.
> >---
>         John, as usual, makes perfect sense.

I think that the point (good or bad) is that any judge who
can with certainty identify an iris from a single photo can
usually be counted on to know whether it is award-worthy.

It is the less knowledgeable judges who are most likely to
be swayed by an identified picture.

I realize that there are some truly unique iris (like Thornbird)
that are easily recognizable, but not all that many.

>         I also like Ian's suggestion of having a N. American species'
>         calendar.

Me too.

Gerry in water-logged Los Angeles, with three stalks of Mesmerizer
nearing bloom