Importing to EU from US

Following Arthur's comment, I though I would use my limited experience and
offer a little advice:
-1- when selecting an American nursery to buy from, always choose one with a
USDA climate zone that is the same or colder than your area - otherwise you
will have to overwinter the plants under cover for their first winter and
plant them out in spring.
-2- get all your plants from one nursery - the more separate orders you
place, the more you will spend on plant health and shipping charges. Also
bigger orders often attract free bonus plants or quantity discount.
-3- remember that the price you pay will be subject to import duty and sales
tax at the point of entry. If you can, request a point of entry near your
home - Billund or Copenhagen perhaps - sometimes you will find it quicker to
get your plants direct from the airport.
-4- don't buy the very newest varieties - they are too expensive for mere
mortals! Besides - some nurseries (e.g.Schreiner) throw their new varieties
in as bonus plants. It is best to choose varieties that have been around for
at least three years - you will find reviews of them in the AIS Bulletin and
elsewhere. Also check out those that have received awards - generally, an AM
is a sign of an iris that will perform well in most gardens (though not
always - Edith Wolford sulks with us).
-5- specify an early shipping date - the sooner you have the plants, the
sooner they will get established - then they will stand their first winter
-6- payment. If you do not have a credit card, use a bankers draft from one
of the major banks - they will have established clearance procedures with the
US banks, and the nursery will be able to pay it into their account just like
a cheque (or "check" for our American friends!) Your bank will give you more
advice. ALWAYS send your payment by secure post.
-7- order early - you will stand a better chance of getting the varieties you
want. Always list suitable substitute varieties in case something is sold

Overall, my experience would suggest that getting iris plants from the US is
an easy and painless experience. Feedback from other EU gardeners would be

Graham Spencer
Croftway Nursery, UK
Weather just as it was earlier.