There is no good reference book available for identification of North
American irises and, in part, this is one reason why they are not better
known.  As it is Christmas, this problem came together with my
disappointment about the iris calender from the AIS last year.  It was very
small, expensive, and did not have the irises named.  The latter seems to be
a most unprofessional error on the part of AIS which has education as part
of its mandate.  Before I knew what the calender was like, last year I
ordered 10 or 20.  This year none!

Now to the point.  Why not a good(12x12 inch size) calender next year which
illustrates native irises, a broad cross section, with names, and a brief
statement of the distribution, whether they are protected, etc.?  It would
be educational, sell well in my view, and could be repeated in the second
year with another batch.  Together, we could cover most of the North
American irises in a couple of years.  We have a series of calenders and
desk calenders that have an excellent display of wildflowers.  They have
been successful for quite some years.

Well, that is my Christmas suggestion to AIS.  May be someone can pass it
along to the person that can consider the idea.

An alternative, why do we not do it in the Canadian Iris Society as a way or
raising money and as our contribution to conservation, ecology, the
environment, peace.......

Ian E. Efford
avocet.intl@sympatico.ca  		- please, note new e-mail address!
tel (613) 526 4427 or 4429 fax (613) 526 0081
1909 Broadmoor Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1H 5B3
Zone 3-4