RE: Zantha

CEMahan@aol.com wrote:
  Re ZANTHA, which you listed, it is
> one of the finest yellow irises ever produced, and it competes quite well
> with modern yellows.  In fact, this is one of those great irises that should
> have, but did not, win the Dykes Memorial Medal.

I'm sorry to disagree with you, but I must present a different opinion
for the sake of the other members.  I have grown ZANTHA for the past
five years and it has some major faults.  First the flower petals are
always twisted.  Second the stalks always grow at an angle, like they
have been in a major wind storm.  It does have a great saturation of
yellow color, which in the 40's must have been impressive.  Not Dykes
Medal quality to me.

Rick Tasco
Central California-- Rain today 55F
Zone 8.5