Re: I. Unguicularis

Rick Tasco wrote:

>I am also very interested in collecting clones of Unguicularis.  Those
>which I have and the only one I know of for sure is I Lazica, which I
>received from Ben Hager of Melrose Gardens.  I think he told me he got
>his from Jean Witt.  I also have a clone which I suspect is I
>Cephalonica.  This one has clean, tall blue-green foilage.  Probably too
>tall as the foilage hides the flowers.  I know some growers who give it
>a hair cut before bloom.  Two others I grew from SIGNA seed. One is Alba
>(92R302) and narrow leaf from Greece (92304).  If you know of any
>sources of Unguicularis please let me know.

Just for the record, I am copying below the clones of I. unguicularis that
the "Plantfinder" lists as currently being listed as on offer in the UK and
Ireland.

I. unguicularis
        - JCA 600.412
        - L&R 65
        - MS 720
        - MS&CL 478
        - MS&CL 550
        - "Abington purple"
        - "Alba"
        - f. angustifolia
        - "Bob Thompson"
        - "broken form"
        - ssp. cretensis
        - "Francis Wormsley"
        - v. lazica
        - "Mary Barnard"
        - "Oxford Dwarf"
        - "Palette"
        - "Unguicularis Marginata"
        - "Walter Butt"

Also, in his book Brian Mathew mentions the following forms (I have
summarised his comments on the flowers) -
        - "Alba" ( very floriferous - rather narrow perianth segments)
        - "Speciosa" (short, narrow leaved, deep velvety violet flowers,
strong honey scent)
        - "Angustifolia" (fls small but interestingly coloured - falls white
in centre, with bluish/lilac margins)
        - "Variegata" (mottled & streaked fls. - not v. pleasant)
        - "Starkers Pink" (pinkisk/lavender fls. - v. shy flowering, rather
weak)
        - "Oxford dwarf" (falls white, tipped lavender, veined purple with
orange line in centre)
        - "Ellis's variety" (narrow leaved, rich violet/blue flower.)
        - "Marginata" (lilac fls, edging of white to falls & stds.)

You will however need to ask someone else what the rest look like, because
other than those we have discussed, I have no idea!

Finally - Clarence - thank you for your advice - I will try to contact Nora
Scopes soon.

Ian

Ian Black  ianblack@easynet.co.uk
Hampshire, UK  - mintemp  -8C