Re: Albicans/hybridizing experiments/seeds

Robert Turley said
>I crossed Albicans with a violet colored Standard Dwarf Iris whose name I
>don't remember.  A nice pod formed with lots of seeds and excellent
>germination.  I crossed these two because they were blooming at the same
time
>in central Louisiana in late February.

I am starting to be suspicious that this is how a lot of hybridizing of iris
is done : )  - what's in bloom at the same time and looks like it might make
an interesting or good cross, except for the really big outfits that have
tons of material to work with.  True?

Seems like this must be especially true in the soggy east, where the weather
is so variable.

Back to the topic of selling/buying seed pods - I would love to be trying to
grow some seeds from crosses of Blyth tall bearded iris here to try and
select for some strains that would tolerate this climate better.  When the
subject of buying seed pods was discussed before, seems we didn't identify
anyone who sells?  One of our club members brought some seeds to a meeting
one year to give to new members - other than Sharon McAllister's bonus/gift
arilbred seeds, are there any other sources of bearded iris seeds?

Speaking of Blyth, how's the southern hemisphere bloom season?  Completely
over now?

I hear that it is possible to mail viable pollen. Is that a fairly common
practice?  Last spring someone on the list asked me to mail them some
IMMORTALITY pollen, but it bloomed too late. What are some techniques for
harvesting/packaging?

DEEP into spring iris fantasies - too many questions in one post!