Re: Shipping Pollen

Linda Mann wrote:

:  I hear that it is possible to mail viable pollen. Is that a fairly common
:  practice?  Last spring someone on the list asked me to mail them some
:  IMMORTALITY pollen, but it bloomed too late. What are some techniques for
:  harvesting/packaging?

Common enough.  It's really the only way to make some crosses.

I pluck the anthers and spread them out around the edges of a LABELED condiment
cup, propping them up with only the tip of each anther touching the bottom of
the cup and the cut end resting against the side.  Usually three, no more than
six to a cup.  Then I let them air-dry for a couple of days (the climate in
Southern New Mexico is similar to that of a dessicating oven).  Finally, I put
the lids on the cups, pack the cups in the cardboard PRIORITY MAIL boxes the
Post Office provides (with some paper towels or newspaper to cushion the cups
during shipment) and send them on their way.

These little cups are the right size for the standard boxes, so this is fast &
easy.  But it's not the only way.  Small paper envelopes work well, too.

Sharon McAllister (73372.1745)