Re:Iris unguicularis "Walter Butt"

It was very pleasing to see the praises of this excellent plant being sung
by John Grimshaw.  One of the uplifting sights of winter during almost any
mild spell - although I suppose that is not much consolation for those whose
gardens are under several feet of snow for most of the winter!

There are also other particularly desirable forms.  I have one which I am
particularly pleased with, which came to me as "Iris cretensis alba".  I
beleive that few people would support the separation of these two species
these days, but the markedly narrower leaves give the flowers greater
prominence, and as a result makes this plant look almost  like one of the
bulbous Irises from a distance.

Another form, which I don't have, but would dearly like, is "Mary Barnard",
which has flowers of a good blue coloration.  I had it some years ago but
lost it due to incompetent handling on my part (no fault of the plant's).

I would be very interested to hear of other people's experiences with other
identifiable clones of I. unguicularis - and does anyone know who Mary
Barnard was??

Ian

Ian Black  ianblack@easynet.co.uk
Hampshire, UK  - mintemp  -8C