Lowell's Historics -- Part I

Here are a few catalog descriptions for the list Lowell posted, plus a few
personal observations I didn't have the will-power to leave out:

     TOM CRAIG, Los Angeles, CA.
JOSEPH'S MANTLE (1948)  Yellow, feathered dark red.
>From the Craig catalog:  "As colorful as its name, the fancy work is done on a
ground of cream beige and is brushed on in shades of mulberry red.  A persisent
bloomer."   I might add, it also rebloomed for me in Oklahoma.

     FRED DeFOREST, Canby, OR
ARGUS PHEASANT (1948)  Yellow-toned blend.  Dykes '52.
>From Tell's catalog:  "Large, brilliant golden brown."

     ORVILLE FAY, Northbrook, IL
DESERT SONG (1946) Yellow-toned white.  AM '49.
>From Tell's catalog:  "Large, quality cream."

TRULY YOURS (1948)  White, feathered yellow. Dykes '53.
>From Tell's catalog: "Huge, unusual yellow and white combination with heavy
ruffling."  I'd describe it as a very unusual pattern -- yellow standards with
an arc of white near the top, yellow falls with a fan-shaped spill of whilte
from the tip of the beard to almost the edge.

ZANTHA (1947) Dark yellow self.  AM '52.
I'd call it deep yellow or golden yellow, because it is clear and clean without
the brownish tinge found in some of the darker yellows.

     JIM GIBSON, Porterville, CA
GIBSON GIRL (1946)  Yellow & red plicata.  Rebloomer.
>From Austin's catalog:  "Light pinkish mulberry & deep rose mulberry peppered on
cream ground.  Very large, outstanding.  Usually starts its second bloom in
August & blooms on & on till cut down by eavy frosts."

SPUN GOLD (1940)  Dark yellow self.  Dykes '44.
>From Tell's catalog:  "The first 'velvety' yellow."

     ROBERT GRAVES, Concord, NH
HELEN McGREGOR (1943)  Medium blue self.  Dykes '49.
>From Tell's catalog: "Superb light blue.  Does fade in hot sun, but if planted
in partial shade is magnificent.

     DAVID HALL, Wilmette, IL
CHANTILLY (1943)  Pink.  AM '47.
>From Tell's catalog:  "Very heavily ruffled orchid-pink blend."

CHERIE (1945)  Flamingo pink.  Dykes '51.
>From Tell's catalog: "Flaring light pink with good form and substance."

GOLDEN RUSSET (1946) Yellow blend.  AM '52.
>From Tell's catalog:  "Gigantic russet that will simply 'stun' visitors when
well grown."

NIGHTFALL (1942)  Dark blue bitone.  AM '45.

     R.E. KLEINSORGE, Silverton, OR
GRAND CANYON (1941)  Yellow-toned blend.  AM '44.
>From Tell's catalog: "Rich plum and copper blend."

SUNSET BLAZE (1948)  Dark yellow-toned red.  AM '51.
>From Tell's catalog: "Deep red-flame-salmon."

TOBACCO ROAD (1941)  Yellow-toned brown.  AM '46.

     P.A. LOOMIS, Colorado Springs, CO
ELMOHR (1942)  Mulberry self.  Arilbred.  Dykes '45.
>From Tell's catalog:  "Huge mulberry purple with all the magnitude and glamor of
the largest tall bearded iris with the added charm of the full-flowered

RED AMBER (1942)  Yellow-toned red.  HM '43.

SPANISH PEAKS (1947)  White.  AM '50.

     EDITH LOWRY, Newton, MA
VIOLET HARMONY (1948)  Medium violet self.  Dykes '57.

     WALTER MARX, Boring, OR
BLUMOHR (1948)  Light blue self.  Arilbred.  AM '52.
>From Austin's catalog:  "The color of the Cattleya orchid."  But I think it's
much bluer than that -- a lavender-blue rather than a bluish lavender..

     WILLIAM McKEE, Worcester, MA
AUGUSTA (1946)  Red blend.  HM '48,

     ELMA MIESS, Calamesa, CA
SPRING ROMANCE (1948) Yellow-toned white.  HM '50.
>From Tell's catalog:  "Waxy cream-white with frosty over-lay and heavy infusion
of aureolin gold at hafts.  Very heavy orange beard."

MOUNT TIMP (1945)  White-ground red plicata.
>From Tell's catalog:  "Very large rose trimmed plicata that starts the season
and blooms over a long period of time.  Garden visitors love it.  Reblooms in
favorable climates."
PINK FORMAL (1947)  Pink.  AM '51.
>From Tell's catalog:  "Very large, wide deep pink on the salmon side with a deep
red-tengerine beard.  It has the heaviest substance of any pink we know, and
puts this mark of quality on its children and grandchildren."

     ARTHUR MURAWASKA, River Grove, IL
ALADDIN'S WISH (1943)  White brushed blue.
>From Tell's catalog:  "Unusual!  Blue brushed gold."

Hybridizers N thru Z to follow....

Sharon McAllister (73372.1745@compuserve.com)