Re: I. Unguicularis

Rick Tasco asks
> If you know of any sources of Unguicularis please let me know. >

We grow the following varieties and will offer them in our next years catalog.

Species Form -  Lavender flowers.  Early, long, heavy bloomer

Cretensis - Grassy-leaved and smaller-flowered plants of eastern Greece and
Crete.

Marginata- - Flowers bluer than others with yellow signals and narrow but
regular white edges to the falls, one of the first to bloom.

Mary Barnard -  Lovely purple flowers, good bloomer and grower. North
African, winter bloomer, sets buds at base of plants, no stems.

Oxford Dwarf -  Shorter leaves and flowers. Lovely lavender flowers.

Walter Butt Light - Lavender flower with lighter undersides.

I. Lazica - Native of Caucasus . Late autumn and winter it has pale, sky
blue, odorless blossoms. Foliage is shorter and not quite as stiffly erect
as I. Unguicularis.

We have ample stock of the Species Form, Mary Barnard, Oxford Dwarf and
Walter Butt. The others will be in limited supply. Our problem with these
is that professional landscapers have discovered them and they order in
quanities so it's hard to keep up.

Even though they are a Mediterranean origin they seem to grow in almost all
climates. They sure like our cool damp climate. If you now grow any, give
them some alfalfa pellets as it seem to do wonders.

Jay Hudson

JAY AND TERRI HUDSON	THE IRIS GALLERY
Fort Bragg, Ca  	irishud@ert.com
On the beautiful north coast of California