Metric units

Rick Tasco has asked me to try and use imperial units when describing
heights, sizes, volumes, temperatures and so on. Over here we have been
taught metric units in our schools since 1974 (I was born in 71), and we now
have laws which force us to specify everything on packets and in catalogues
in metric units - we buy litres of milk or petrol, cloth by the square metre
and flour and sugar by the kilogram. The one exception is beer and cider,
still sold in good old PINTS - had some good ones last night!!!
Thankfully, they have not made use of the imperial units illegal (that would
be draconian) but we must state metric first!
So when I describe today's weather, I will use metric and imperial units -
please remind me if I forget!

Handy conversions - might be useful:
0 Celsius = 32 Farenheit
10 C = 50 F
16 C = 61 F
20 C = 68 F
28 C = 82 F

1 foot = 30centimetres = 0.3 metres
1 inch = 2.5 centimetres
1 metre = 3 feet and 3 inches

Volume: - note: UK pints and gallons - I'll stick to metric here - you will
have to work your own conversion rates for US units
Also, I'm never sure on this one!
one litre = 0.001 cubic metres
therefore 1000 litres = one cubic metre
one pint = 0.57 litres
one litre = 1.76 pints

one hectare = 10,000 square metres
one hectare = 2.5 acres (roughly)

one kilogram = 2.2 lb
1 lb = 0.45kg
1 oz = 28 grams = 0.028 kilograms

Graham Spencer
Croftway Nursery, UK

Fine, cloudy and cold. Currently 6 Celsius = 43 Farenheit. Only light frost
last night.