Re: Pink/orange iris

Croftway@aol.com wrote:

> 2. genetics: I just feel that pink and orange irises (especially those with
> the so-called T-factor - tangerine beards) are less vigorous than other
> colours.

The *World of Iris* (if you don't have this book you should try it)
states that the first significant pink was SEASHELL from PA Loomis of
Colorado.  Seashell came from a plicata seedling and a variegata
seedling.  There was no plan behind its breeding.  David Hall of Chicago
later produced award winning pinks.  Both of these earlier hybridizers
were from cold climate locations.  I would have to say that the earlier
pinks did have cold climate tolerance.  Perhaps sometime later this
factor was diluted.  Without extensive research into parentages I can't
get an answer.  Any volunteers?

Rick Tasco
Central California--Nice sunny day today 60F Lots of bloom on
Zone 8.5