Finally leaving for a spell

  This message is really to all and is to inform you that I am as of today
finally off the iris-l for a break. I couldn't seem to do it right on my own
but Bill Lowe did it for me. So thanks Bill for your trouble - the last nine
messages came in with yours at the end and the confirmed one just above it
(same time). I believe I can still send messages to the List (as this one)
and I will answer ones sent to my personal Net address, either here or
direct to your Net address. I have saved all that have come in and read all
that had to do with species that were in the last 800 or so to come in. Why
so many on species just when I am exiting? Bait to entice me back and its
working! I really do enjoy reading the mail but can't get my other work done
too. That word retired is two letters too long and day is spelled with far
too few. Anyway my time will be spent learning more about how to use this
confusing computer and its Windows 95, as well as searching the net for my
ancestors to complete my genealogy work started about seven years ago and
still some gaps to fill. I am looking forward to selling my home this summer
(I hope?) and moving in with my daughter Laurie and family. New construction
there will be starting in the spring (just down the road on a corner of my
farm 1/4 mile away) but I won't be able to help with that as I did ten years
ago when their home was being built.  (I did all the electrical wiring).
This time I'll supervise when Ernie is away and keep an eye (the only one I
have that works) on the contractors. There is no garden  down there and I
think I will likely make one  for them but nothing like the size of the one
I am leaving. A few  fruit trees, some grapes and I guess some tomatoes and
a place for some 40 amalyris bulbs. These do wondeful well for the summer in
the unheated GH and bloom in the heated one attached to my home. I have not
decided what to do about the three  rows of species iris. I hate to leave
them behind but then the real reason for leaving here is to leave the work
behind. I doubt if I will get better able to carry on with them as I get
older. I've been giving them away but they increase even faster. I read the
messages from Graham Spenser from England who wants to ship iris overseas.
I've done this in the past when it cost nothing for inspection - its now
$15.00 for a small shipment but at least the inspector comes here to do the
inspection of each shipment) and as well your can't send many iris airmail
over the Atlantic for $30 postage. I would advise our new friend that only
iris selling for at least $15 each would be worthwhile sending. I would also
like to inform Dennis Bishop re QUEEN OF HEARTS that he needs some cold
weather to grow any TB iris to its best. I know such a place on the Big
Island when on a bus tour up a mountain to see a volcano and its pit. Cold,
wet,rainy and fog so thick we could see about 10' into that hole. I have
visited all the islands and fortunately not all are like this but I still
think he should stick to orchids. They do really nicely there. Incidently, I
would never want to live there as too dull.

   I have made a lot of new friends (fortunately young ones as too many of
my other older freinds are not around anymore) and did find your many
messages of great interest, almost reviving the time long ago when I had the
nursery and iris were everywhere we went (always welcome too even when we
dropped in on perfect strangers. I recall one time were were lost in New
Zealand trying to find the road to the Botanical gardens and saw a home with
a row of amalyris. My wife said ask there, a flower grwoer will know. She
did, but she didn't know she had amalyris. Seems she migrated from Europe
and brought one bulb with her and they multiplied. Its been like that
everywhere we went. Now she is gone and I am alone and cannot travel again
in person but going around the world in cyberspace every day. Its a small
world now. Be back again as soon as resettled.

Bruce Richardson  Just  south of Hamilton, Ont. Canada
brucer@networx.on.ca    Drop me a line sometime.
Bruce Richardson (near Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.