Re: Hot colour iris performance in UK

Graham Spencer asks...

> Does anyone know of a hybridizer working in a cooler or wetter area who is
> developing really good pink or orange varieties? I'm sure everyone would
>like to hear!!

I nominate a golden oldie -- I do not grow a better garden pink. It is, in
my garden, 'head and shoulders' better than anything on the market at the
present time, Ben's things included. Of course, it has extremely dated
form, or a kinder way of putting it might be, 'it exhibits a tailored
appearance.'

I do not normally tout Jim Gibson's iris as good growers but Lorna Lee
(Gibson 66) is in my 'Top Ten' iris listing of *Good Garden Perennials*
And, mirabile dictu, it does not rot regardless of provocation.

Best regards,

Mike,  mikelowe@tricities.net   --   http://www.tricities.net/~mikelowe/
South Central Virginia, USA
USDA Zone 7A, pH-5.4,  very sandy loam
185 to 205 frost free growing days per year
Currently +12 inches of rain over yearly average and gaining every day!