Re: Fragrance Numerical Rating System/Frag. robin

Rick posted Louise Smith's fragrance rating write-up and said
<I don't make any comments on it, I leave it up to your perusal--so please
don't ask me any questions or interpretations about it.>

Thanks RIck.  Really interesting.  I wont't ask a question about the ratings,
but can you or others name some common iris with an 'irisy' scent?  Is that
the fresh springish sweetish fragrance of I. germanica?  Or would most folks
just call it 'fresh'?  Also, I wonder where the intense fragrance of juicy
fruit gum fits?  And that strong grapey fragrance?  Also, some iris smell
like vanilla to me - I had a really nice older white iris (that was doing
great until I moved the clump and it came down with the molliegrubs and
gradually withered up over a 2 year period) that had a pronounced fragrance
of vanilla - I think it was TAFFETA TUTU.  IMMORTALITY smells a little
vanillaish to me also.

In fact, it would be REALLY interesting to hear from folks who have tried to
use these ratings some examples of some of those categories.  I will start
off by giving one -

sweet scents
7   -   slightly sweet
8   -   medium sweet
9   -   very sweet           I. pallida
99  -   even sweeter      (or maybe pallida goes here)
999 -   really flips me!

I notice they left out the ones that smell like tomcat urine.  Maybe that
smells like one of those other smells to those with more discriminating
noses.  I rode home once with some spring swaps of unidentified blooms in the
back of the car that about had me wretching by the time I got home, even with
the windows open.  Very pretty lemon pink buff blend, but peeoouh!  Funny
thing is, they smelled kind of good out in the garden.  Yuch!  Seems like
LULLABY OF SPRING has that scent too, if I remember correctly.

How about we post fragrance observations to the list now and then, trying to
use this rating system, and anybody still in the snail fragrance robin can
share what we post with the snail robin?  We wouldn't benefit from the snail
observations, but they could at least benefit from ours and we could benefit
from each other.  For those on the iris List not interested in buying the
hard copy or interested in more recent introductions.